Established in 1814 by JAMES PURDEY in Oxford Street
the business became famous very quickly & by 1828 was the most popular
gunshop in London.JAMES
PURDEY & SONS hold the warrants of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth
11 HRH Prince Philip & HRH the Prince of Wales having held an uninterrupted
Royal Warrant since Queen Victoria’s reign.
In 1880 JAMES PURDEY the Younger moved from Oxford Street to
the new premises on the corner of South Audley Street & Mount Street
where they remain to this day.
PURDEY guns moved briskly from flintlock to percussion cap to
centre fire hammer guns & then in 1878 to the famous self opening
hammerless guns. This was followed 2 years later by the incorporation
of ejectors & apart from continual refinement & development & the
optional single trigger mechanism very little change has been made to
the side by side sidelock.
The PURDEY Over & Under gun is a development of the Woodward patent
of 1913 incoporated into the company on the acquisition by J. PURDEY & SONS of
the business of J.Woodward & Sons in 1949.
If you have any specific requirement on either PURDEY or WOODWARD please
Let us know & we will endeavour to assist otherwise continue by
selecting SINGLES Or PAIRS from the links above.